January 14, 2013

Recipe of the week

Apple Sauce Oatmeal Muffins


These are incredibly easy, moist, muffins that are great for mornings when I don't have a whole lot of time to whip up a hot meal. You throw it all in a bowl, stir and bake.
  • 1 cup applesauce (no sugar added)
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid if solid)
  • 1/2 cup sugar (heeping)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 1 cup flour (I use wheat, spelt, something other than white)
  • 1/2 oats (heeping)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional/I use walnuts)
No special order, just dump in a bowl and mix well

Topping

I actually just eyeball this. You can't go wrong. When I first started making these I used butter and vegetable oil (instead of coconut oil). I've come a long way from my southern roots. I don't even use oil for the topping anymore. It's really good with just a dry cinnamon crumble on top. But if you want something a little more crunchy and caramelized then go with the coconut oil as well.
  • cinnamon
  • oats
  • brown sugar (optional)
  • melted coconut oil (optional)
Mix in a small bowl and sprinkle on top. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment